Problem with ActiveState support

Brian Quinlan BrianQ at ActiveState.com
Tue May 15 13:58:27 EDT 2001

> Yeah, firewalls cause us no end of grief because they all seem to work
> differently. But there is a way to install local .PPD files
> using pyppm,
> just type the following from the command prompt:
>
> pyppm install <local package>

Sorry, big omission:

The files that pyppm uses for package installation (.PPD) are XML files that
contain a reference to the actual binary to be installed. e.g.:

<SOFTPKG NAME="py2exe" VERSION="0,2,3">
	<CODEBASE
HREF="http://ppm.ActiveState.com/PPMPackages/PyPPM/2.1/packages/py2exe-0.2.3
.win32.zip"/>
</SOFTPKG>

You will have to modify the PPD file to point to a local copy of the
installation binary. eg:

<SOFTPKG NAME="py2exe" VERSION="0,2,3">
	<CODEBASE HREF="py2exe-0.2.3.win32.zip"/>
</SOFTPKG>

In the future we might modify the ppm system to use relative HREFs to make
local installation easier.

Keep in mind that the ppm system is quite new to ActivePython and I'm sure
that we haven't thought through all the possible usage scenarios. The
process that I just suggested can best be described as an unsupported hack.

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
Brian

--
Brian Quinlan
Python and XSLT Developer

Use the power of the dragon for your programming needs.
Download Komodo, our Mozilla-based, cross-platform IDE.
      http://www.ActiveState.com/Komodo