New to programming

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Mon May 21 14:05:12 EDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Patrick Kirk wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm learning to program and in my enthusiasm rushed out and bought Visual
>C++ and a beginners guide.  Its OK but I've read several articles warning
>that C and C++ are poor first languages.  Python is widely commented on as
>an ideal first language.
>
>So I've downloaded Python and a tutorial called "How to think like a
>computer scientist by Allen B. Downey and Jeffrey Elkner"
>
>So far so good.  "Hello World" is a lot more compact in Python than in C++.
>
>Without starting an advocacy thread, why is Python so well spoken of as a
>first language?

Because after it you will not want second one ;-)

Seriously speaking, Python and C/C++ are in different
categories.

One can learn programming with EVERYTHING (even Cobol
or Assembler).
Python just make it more fun and is aestetically pleasant.

>Obviously knowing what makes it good makes learning it even
>more useful...

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Sunday, May 20, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/