New to programming

Patrick Kirk pknews at kirks.net
Mon May 21 11:55:19 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm learning to program and in my enthusiasm rushed out and bought Visual
C++ and a beginners guide.  Its OK but I've read several articles warning
that C and C++ are poor first languages.  Python is widely commented on as
an ideal first language.

So I've downloaded Python and a tutorial called "How to think like a
computer scientist by Allen B. Downey and Jeffrey Elkner"

So far so good.  "Hello World" is a lot more compact in Python than in C++.

Without starting an advocacy thread, why is Python so well spoken of as a
first language?  Obviously knowing what makes it good makes learning it even
more useful...

--
Patrick Kirk
GSM: +44 7712 184 480

Wise Chinese Proverb:  "If tired of computer winning at real time strategy
games, try it at kick-boxing instead"