extension: How to set up additional dependencies in Setup.in

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Tue May 22 12:34:36 EDT 2001

"distutils intead of Setup"?  I thought setup.py was part of
distutils.

Here is another distutils question:  I have to tell users of my
Python extension (PySgrep, available at
http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/pysgrep-1.0a.tar.gz) to run
"./configure" before running "python setup.py build".  It's
difficult to make that obvious enough so that no one fails to see
it and wastes time trying to figure out a not so obvious error
message.  So, is there a way to get setup.py to run "./configure"
(or any other script or program) before or after a build?

Distutils, by the way, is great.  My thanks to its designers and
implementers.  Biologists must have a word to describe something
like this that helps an organism become viral.  I believe that
distutils will contribute heavily to the spread of the Python
virus.

  - Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman