extension: How to set up additional dependencies in Setup.in

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Tue May 22 05:47:01 EDT 2001

Harald Kirsch <kirschh at lionbioscience.com> writes:

> I am implementing a python extension. It contains python specific code
> as well as python independent code. The independent code is captured
> in a library. How can I state that the module's shared object is
> dependent on the library (except by hacking the Makefile)?

I recommend using distutils instead of Setup. I don't know whether it
already checks for timestamp dependencies between a shared object and
its libraries, but:

a) a patch to distutils performing such checks likely would be
   accepted, and
b) if distutils currently does such dependencies, you could easily
   override the build_ext command to perform the dependency check
   yourself.

Regards,
Martin