Java or C++ (Benchmarking)

James Kanze James.Kanze at dresdner-bank.com
Thu May 10 10:43:42 EDT 2001

Jon Skeet wrote:

> > That amounts to the same thing, IMO. Java has a "way of doing
> > things", i.e. to use it essectively you have to bowe down to the
> > Gospel According To Gosling about the One True Way to write code.
> > That's why I call it a "bondage and discipline" language. Pascal
> > is like this too. C and C++ don't have this philosophy, IMO.

> No - which means people write code any which way, extend the
> language all over the place and end up with code which is very hard
> for other people to maintain after they've moved on.

Right.

Java is a language.  It is a language which IMHO lacks a couple of
essential features for robust programming, like programming by
contract, or a good model of separate compilation.  But it is a
complete language; Java is Java.

C++ is a tool kit from which you construct your own language.  You can
construct some very good languages from C++.  And it is exceptionally
easy to construct some very bad ones.  The good languages that you
construct beat Java hands down in any real environment.  But you
always have the problem you just mentionned; anyone new on the project
must learn the language.  In a well run, disciplined shop, this isn't
a problem, but how many shops are well run and disciplined?

James Kanze                               mailto:kanze at gabi-soft.de
Ziegelhüttenweg 17a, 60598 Frankfurt, Germany Tel. +49(069)63198627