Generating SQL queries in Python

Thomas Weholt thomas at cintra.no
Wed May 23 04:55:24 EDT 2001

Interesting issue. In relation to n-tier modelled projects this is vital. In
my current attempt at something like this I've put all my SQL-statements
in a seperate python  module like ordinary strings, putting different
%(var)s into the string to indicate parts of the statement to be replaced at
run-time.
Then I do a from sql_statements import * and in my module using the
SQL-statements:

sql = myOwnSQLStatement % dict_with_data
db.query(sql)

I use PostgreSQL too and this works like a sharm. Don't know of any
overheader etc. so that would be interesting.
At least it's better than hardcoding SQL into your python code. It's also
easier to send the file to a SQL-guru/non-python hacker to
optimize the SQL without having to read alot of code too.

Please feel free to inform me if you find any other method doing this
better. My ultimate goal is to be able to easily use other databases which
in turn supports different parts of the SQL-standard.

Thomas

news:9efq5k$17d9$1 at gwdu67.gwdg.de...