Generating SQL queries in Python

Karl Schmid schmid at ice.mpg.de
Wed May 23 03:54:22 EDT 2001

Hi,

I am currently writing a python program that heavily interacts with SQL
databases (PostgreSQL). The SQL queries are kind of hard-coded at many
places in the program and need to be changed when the database structure
changes (or when a different database system is used, e.g. MySQL).

I was wondering whether there is a solution available in python that allows
to introduce an additional layer of functions for generating SQL queries so
that the code can be more easily adapted to changes in the database
structure or system.

Any information on modules or documentation dealing with this problem is
welcome.

        Karl

Dr. Karl Schmid
Max-Planck-Institute for Chemical Ecology
Carl-Zeiss-Promenade 10                         Tel: +49 3641 / 643658
07745 Jena                                      Fax: +49 3641 / 643668
Germany                                       Email: schmid at ice.mpg.de