Asteroids... [was: Unix [was: do...until wisdom needed...]

Sandipan Gangopadhyay sandipan at vsnl.com
Tue May 15 04:01:00 EDT 2001

From: "Greg Ewing" <see at my.signature>
> "Steven D. Majewski" wrote:
> >
> > As we range ever further off topic from Python, Andrew Dalke wrote:
> >
> > > a civilization on a planet where astrophysical
> > > catastrophies were frequent - once every thousand years.
> >
> > an unstable star system, where
> > everything hibernates through a 30 year winter so deep that the
> > atmosphere condenses and rains out of the sky.
> Getting back to asteroid resistance, it could (in fact,
> would have to) evolve in an organism whose lifespan from
> birth to reproduction was on the order of the time
> between asteriod impacts.

Isnt that what we really are ? An organism that sheds almost all its cells
after a life and reorganises its DNA a little bit through meiosis. And at
each cataclysm, most of this DNA base is wiped out ... Only changes what we
call reproduction (instead of the meiosis, the act of starting out from the
survivor DNA base.)

Regards,

Sandipan