Asteroids... [was: Unix [was: do...until wisdom needed...]

Greg Ewing see at my.signature
Tue May 15 02:06:24 EDT 2001

"Steven D. Majewski" wrote:

> As we range ever further off topic from Python, Andrew Dalke wrote:
>
> > a civilization on a planet where astrophysical
> > catastrophies were frequent - once every thousand years.
>
> an unstable star system, where
> everything hibernates through a 30 year winter so deep that the
> atmosphere condenses and rains out of the sky.

Then there's Helliconia, where it gets really cold
every few hundred years and knocks humanoid civilisation
back to the stone age.

Getting back to asteroid resistance, it could (in fact,
would have to) evolve in an organism whose lifespan from
birth to reproduction was on the order of the time
between asteriod impacts.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg