Zope questions and comments (&Tkinter???)

Ron Stephens rdsteph at earthlink.net
Thu May 31 20:01:39 EDT 2001

I am interested in Zope and I have  few questions. My interest is in
running a  "simple" Zope based web server in order to have the ability
to run server side Python scripts; I might eventually be interested in
the object oriented database aspects of Zope, but it is not clear
whether I would be able to devote enough time and energy to actually be
able to do so. Someone recommended a Zope based hosting service named
hurrah.com and it looks good to me at first glance. I downloaded Zope
and fooled around a few weeks ago, it looked good but complex. My
questions:

1. Will Zope be too complex for me??? Specifically, if my primary
interest, in the short run, is to be able to run server side scripts
written in Python (or at least in a  Python-like language) , will Zope
allow me to do this? Or will writing scripts in Zope be so complex that
it renders void my attraction for writing in Python because it is simple
and intuitive, i. e. , rather easy and enjoyable?

2. I have already discovered that the gui type input/output functions of
my scripts are the hardest part for me. I am only interested in simple
input and output by end users, but I want it to look good and be user
friendly. I do not need fancy graphics nor multimedia, just well
designed attractive forms and user input followed by outputed results in
verbal and numerical form. Will this kind of input/output be a big
problem using Zope? I almost don't dare ask, but I assume Tkinter will
not be supported by Zope? Will I really need to resort to other means,
such as JavaScript, to do such things ??? How straight forward is input
and output, in event driven programs, in server side scripting using
Zope???

3. Would I be better served by using CGI, once I find a host that allows
me to do so? If CGI scripts written in Python are just as easy and
flexible as using Zope, maybe that's the way for me to go in the
beginning. I will still need to find a Python CGI friendly host company.

4. Any suggestions on host companies for Python and/or Zope?

5. I do have an always-on cable modem connection in my home. Should I
consider setting up a very simple web server on my own machine (rather
than finding a Zope Host?). If I could set up such a simple server,
allowing me to run server side Python scripts, or even CGI, I could link
to those pages from my other web site, on my non-Python non-CGI friendly
web host site.

6. Is Zope simply so complex that I will soon forget about why I enjoy
Python, i. e., intuitive, easy to use fun coding?

General and unrelated comment, for no particular reason, but it comes to
mind in thinking about what I want to do in the project I have in
mind:::

It seems to me that Python offers straight forward, self consistent,
logical coding. I like that! But any kind of GUI coding, including
Tkinter, seems to me to be less intuitive, less consistent; involving
more memorization of lots of non-connected facts. Python allows me to
memorize principles and consistently and easily implement them. Most GUI
programming seems more like I recall Java or even JavaScript coding;
random,  unconnected stuff that is no fun because it's detailed and
random

sorry for the rant. please disregard ;-)))))