GNU/Linux vs. Windows as Python platform

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Thu May 17 17:44:42 EDT 2001

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 08:02:13PM +0000, Terry Reedy wrote:
| Has anyone (reading this) had experience with running Python under both
| Windows and Linux/Unix on the same machine (or equivalent machines)?  If
| so, have you noticed any advantages either way?  (Other than the issue of
| prebuilt versus compile-your-own binaries.)

Actually Linux has prebuilt binaries.  There are RPMs for RedHat, or
if you use Debian just  'apt-get install python'  (or 'apt-get install
python2' if you want 2.0).  I am sure that other distros have binaries
available as well (from their own site, not on python.org).

I have noticed that there are a number of library features missing in
the Win32 version (because the feature is missing in the underlying
OS).  However the cygwin version of python has improved that.  The
win32 version has some features (ie COM) that DNE in a *nix
environment.

Other than that I would say that any Unix system is better than using
Windows <grin>.

-D