GNU/Linux vs. Windows as Python platform

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu May 17 19:02:22 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.990135926.19351.python-list at python.org>, D-Man wrote:
>On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 08:02:13PM +0000, Terry Reedy wrote:
>| Has anyone (reading this) had experience with running Python under both
>| Windows and Linux/Unix on the same machine (or equivalent machines)?  If
>| so, have you noticed any advantages either way?  (Other than the issue of
>| prebuilt versus compile-your-own binaries.)
>
>Actually Linux has prebuilt binaries.  There are RPMs for RedHat, or
>if you use Debian just  'apt-get install python'  (or 'apt-get install
>python2' if you want 2.0).  I am sure that other distros have binaries
>available as well (from their own site, not on python.org).

Quite a few Linux distros install Python by default.  However,
it's probably a rather old version.  IIRC, RH7.1 is still
shipping with 1.5.2.  :(

>Other than that I would say that any Unix system is better than using
>Windows <grin>.

Definitely.

Unless you need to talk to some MS server that will only talk
using some proprietary method wrapped up as COM objects.  Then
you're stuck.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Where's th' DAFFY
                                  at               DUCK EXHIBIT??