Choosing a programming language as a competitive tool

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Fri May 4 12:15:45 EDT 2001

>I can pick up Lisp programs I wrote 20 years ago
>and read them like I wrote them yesterday -- and I haven't programmed
>in Lisp in 16 years.

But in 20 years, the language has become something else.
Pick up Guy Steele's seminal text on the subject and get
swarmed in linguistic forms, many completely duplicative.
This comparison to Perl is apropos, because Perl is much
the same way: there's always more than one way to do it.

> Once you get used to Lisp's syntax, it becomes very natural.

I like Lisp syntax, although I hate the way that most old time
Lisp programmers indent.

C//