Choosing a programming language as a competitive tool

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Fri May 4 11:20:14 EDT 2001

Personally, I find Lisp much easier than Perl (especially since
I avoid it whenever possible, so I've never really mastered it --
just keep a nodding acquaintence so I can read the scripts I do
run into. )  I would agree with all you've said.

I just meant:

  I think Lisp IS easier to write than to read -- especially someone
 else's lisp code, because styles and idioms can vary a lot. ( The
 disparity isn't as great as with Perl, but some of the reasons are
 the same. )

  What easier for folks may vary depending on what they already know
 and how similar what they are learning is to that previous knowledge.
 ( So *SOME* folks might find Perl easier, even if *I* don't. )

  And I was arguing against Courageous' description of Lisp as
 difficult: despite that personal-fudge-factor cited above, there's
 NO WAY you can say that Lisp is an order of magnitude more difficult
 that other stuff -- Java, C++, Perl -- that are widely used, so the
 argument that Lisp doesn't get used because it's inherently difficult
 to learn doesn't hold water. ( And if it does seem difficult to some
 folks it probably, it's more likely a problem with how it's taught
 than the language itself. )

I think except for the personal-fudge-factor effect, we're in agreement!

-- Steve Majewski