bracing for a firestorm

Jeff Epler jepler at inetnebr.com
Wed May 23 08:52:45 EDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001 23:22:07 -0500, Ben Wolfson
 <wolfson at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> In article <slrn9gjpct.p1.grante at tuxtop.visi.com>, "Grant Edwards"
> <grante at visi.com> wrote:
>
>> This may sound like I'm headed down a slippery slope towards APL where
>> all conceivable keywords and operators are a single character, but I'd
>> be happy with just a couple more sets of delimiters.
>
> Nah, here's what Py3k needs:
>
> The `<expression>` syntax will be elimated--there's only one way to do it,
> after all, and we already have repr().

No no no!

`expression` should function as it does now, and ```expression``` should
return pickle.dumps(expression).  ```expression''' should return
pickle.loads(expression), and `expression' should return eval(expression).
I think you can see that this suggestion is beautiful and orthogonal in
the way only Py3k can be.

(By the way, why don't we introduce special meaning to
((())), [[[]]], {{{}}}, and <<<>>> for grouping?  (((a,b,c))) could call
___tripleparenconstructor___(a,b,c), etc.  Again, beautiful in the way
only Py3k can be)

<<<wink>>>'ly yours, Jeff