Python-list digest, Vol 1 #5872 - 10 msgs

Brian Quinlan BrianQ at ActiveState.com
Tue May 8 17:28:01 EDT 2001

Some random person wrote:
>     I'm a complete Python newbie.  After a lot of searching, I found a
> hosting provider with a decent package who also happened to support
> Python (I'm pretty sure that it came with their linux distro,
> since it's
> old,
> v. 1.5.2, and they warned me that while it was installed,
> they would be
> able to provide no support). They couldn't tell me which modules were
> installed or anything else.

Others can answer your actual question :-)

I would recommend simply installing your own version of python in your
account. That way you don't have to worry about the upgrade policy of your
host i.e. you won't be stuck at 1.5.2 forever/you won't break when they
suddenly move to Python 2.2

Also, Python allows you to load modules from arbitrary directories so you
aren't limited by the modules that your ISP has installed.

--
Brian Quinlan
Python and XSLT Developer

Use the power of the dragon for your programming needs.
Download Komodo, our Mozilla-based, cross-platform IDE.
      http://www.ActiveState.com/Komodo