Compiling Python source code

JimB417 jimb417 at aol.com
Mon May 28 17:31:15 EDT 2001

Hello all,

I downloaded the RPM source files for Python 2.1 (expat-1.1-3tummy.src.rpm,
python2-2.1-4.src.rpm ) and I'm having problems with compiling on my Linux
box. i open a terminal window and type:

rpm --rebuild expat-1.1-3tummy.src.rpm

After a few moments (and all seems to have gone well) I type at the prompt:

rpm --rebuild python2-2.1-4.src.rpm,

and I get the following message:

expat 1.1-3tummy is needed by python2-2.1-4.

What am I doing wrong here? I've been at this for several days now. I tried
installing the compiled binary of 2.1 but there was a dependency file problem I
could not resolve, so I thought I would try compiling the source instead. I've
been
using Python on Windoze for about a month now, but I want to use 2.1 on Linux
as well.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any and all help with this. Jim