Graphical script editors???

W. Jarrett Campbell jarrett at engineer.com
Thu May 31 20:50:08 EDT 2001

I am curious if there are any graphical script editors for the application
that I'm working on.

I'm creating libraries of functions in a scripting language that can be
utilized by novice programmers to achieve a certain task.  These functions
will be called in serial and/or parallel fashion to process a sequence of
data and ultimately produce a result.

An example would be creating a result that is the inverse of a filtered data
set:
x(my raw data) -->   [first order filter] --> [inverse calculation] -->
y(resulting data)

A second user may want to do the same thing, but use a second order filter:
x(my raw data) -->   [second order filter] --> [inverse calculation] -->
y(resulting data)

Another user may want to calculate the inverse, but not filter the data at
all:
x(my raw data) -->   [inverse calculation] --> y(resulting data)

And so on...

What I'm looking for is a graphical, flow-charting-like way for the user to
drag-and-drop icons which represent the different functional libraries and
sequence in which they need to be processed.  I'm looking for something like
Visio which generates Python/Perl/Tcl scripts on the backside.  A similar
idea is implemented in Matlab's Simulink toolbox and by LabView.  I'll need
to be able to make branching decisions based on data values or variable
states as they pass the decision point.

Is anyone aware of such a product or project?  If so, I'd appreciate
pointers in their direction!

Thank you in advance,

W. Jarrett Campbell
jarrett at engineer.com