bracing for a firestorm

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue May 22 00:57:18 EDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001 23:22:07 -0500, Ben Wolfson <wolfson at uchicago.edu> wrote:

>The `<expression>` syntax will be elimated--there's only one way to do it,
>after all, and we already have repr().  Instead, backticks will be used to
>create sequences (except strings).  The sequence type will be indicated by
>a one-letter code, either T, L, or D for tuple, list or dict, and the
>number of elements will be indicated by the number of backticks, which
>will be followed by a comma-separated list.  What in current python is (1,
>'hi', [foo(), bar({'string':value, vrbl:'something else'})]) will be
>T```1, 'hi', L``foo(), bar(D``'string':value, vrbl:'someting else') .
>Much clearer.

Except in font/resolution combinations where you can't tell a '
from a `.  We might have to come up with bigraph alternatives.

Is bigraph the right word for things like >= == != /* */ and so
on?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Like I always
                                  at               say -- nothing can beat