php alternatives in python

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Thu May 31 14:07:11 EDT 2001

> I am just researching.  Here is my problem.  My company writes all of
> our
> api's (engines) with Python (when cross-platform is needed) or VB
> (when COM
> is needed).  Then, we use PHP for any web work.  So, when I try to
> replace a
> programmer or hire a new one, I have to find someone who is versed in
> PHP,
> Python, and VB.  This is not an easy task.  It would really help if I
> could
> narrow things down to one language.
>
> Python could easily replace the COM needs that we gain from VB, but we
> do
> not have anyone in our office who can create a GUI in Python as easily
> or
> effectively as with VB.  I hope that Python.NET will change that.  So,
> if I
> can replace PHP with Python, we could do all of our development in one
> language.

mm, maintaining existing code is difficult. But squaring the triangle
(VB, PHP, Python) is a unique, mm, "challenge" because of the very
difficult programming styles favoured by the different languages.

So you need a GUI creator for Python stuff?

> I have looked at Zope, but it seems more like Cold Fusion than ASP or
> PHP.
> I really want something like ASP or PHP, if possible.
I'd put jsp, cfm, php, dtml and such all in the same bucket: embedding
commands in HTML and relying on the server to do the parsing. PSP is
probably going to fit best in this model but it's new and not terribly
popular.

Zope is great as it comes with a whole bundle of components for the
majority of web work meaning you don't have to program diddly. But, of
course, you might not want what Zope has to offer.

Charlie