Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

Anton Vredegoor a.vredegoor at hccnet.nl
Wed May 9 16:00:30 EDT 2001

On Wed, 9 May 2001 13:35:41 -0500, "dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at e-coli.net>
wrote:

>"Anton Vredegoor" <a.vredegoor at hccnet.nl> wrote in message
>news:9dbv5o$3qn$1 at news.hccnet.nl...
>> On Wed, 9 May 2001 13:53:11 +0200 (MET DST), Laura Creighton
>> <lac at cd.chalmers.se> wrote:
>>
>* * *
>> I sometimes wonder what would have happened if
>> computer science would have been more influenced by Psychology or by
>> Linguistics.
>
>they might have invented something silly like Perl.
>
>-ds

For a start the climate would have a been lot less competitive and
male oriented, so more people would have gained access to computer
resources and the "unbelievable pains" to the ego that was spoken
about would have been avoided. I can't tell whether other influences
would have resulted in a better situation though. Maybe it would have
been worse with all those 'softies' at the stearing wheel. I am glad
python is making programming possible for a lot of people that would
have been scared away by other languages.

Anton.