Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

Andy Todd atodd at spam.free.email.com
Wed May 9 23:39:12 EDT 2001

Laura Creighton <lac at cd.chalmers.se> wrote in
<mailman.989409253.7945.python-list at python.org>:

[Major snippage]

>What sort of teaching did the rest of you that took computer science
>courses get?

Well, I feel qualified to answer this question because I've got a degree in
Management and Computer Science. Which, if I'm honest, qualifies me to be
able to understand the rubbish both computer scientists and management
speak ;-)

However, The discussion is an interesting one but has one *major*
presumption; that the study of computer science is the study of
programming.

The only programming course I took during my degree course was Introduction
to COBOL (for *$%@@'s sake!) and even then we had to submit all of our
course work as written source code listings. Actual use of a computer was
not required, in fact it was positively discouraged amongst undergraduates.

Now, ten or so years later I make my living in IT and (allegedly) do a lot
of development (i.e programming) work. I can still converse with
developers, management and business people largely due to the firm
grounding I had at University in the concepts of information technology.

Never once did we discuss the merits of LISP vs Python vs C vs Assembler,
rather I studied the 'Concepts and Paradigms of Computer Languages'. Not
for us Oracle vs Sybase vs Informix vs DB2, but 'Principles of Database
Systems' and 'Advanced Database Systems' [ hetergeneous databases that will
encapsulate relational, hierarchical, object and sequential database
concepts anyone? ].
As I've said, I make my living (largely) as a programmer but every
programming language (tool) that I use for my work has been learnt on the
job (through formal training as well as the hard way). I bring knowledge,
experience and design savvy, they provide the toolkit.

Having said that, Python is the only language I have taken time out to
learn by myself and I regret not a minute of it. Now, if I could just
persuade my clients to stop using some of the technologies they currently
(ab)use and to wake up and smell the 21st century I'd be a very happy
bunny, but that's another thread ...

As a final observation, is it possible that the approach to education
differs between the US and, say, Europe? At my university in the UK the
emphasis was not on rote learning (like school and US undergraduate courses
<duck>) but on getting to grips with the fundamental tenets of the subject
you studied. I must admit to not making sense of some of this stuff until
*many* years later, but when the 'aha' moments came they reassured my faith
that my education wasn't completely wasted.

>Laura Creighton
>lac at cd.chalmers.se

Regards,
Andy