Hypercard scripting like Python

abulka at netspace.net.au abulka at netspace.net.au
Wed May 9 08:28:17 EDT 2001

In the world of computer languages there is a distinction between statically
typed systems programming languages, VS. the loosely typed late-binding
scripting languages.  C++, Java, Delphi are examples of the former and Python,
Hypercard, FORTH, Lisp, Smalltalk examples of the latter.  Each paradigm has
its strengths and weaknesses.

I've always used both styles of language, and have even grown to love a systems
programming language - Delphi.  But I remember FORTH rocked (in its day) and
Python certainly rocks now (be still my heart :-).  I've also have a lot of
time for hypercard style scripting languages esp. the more pure and orthogonal
Toolbook Openscript (which unfortunately is now expensive and become a niche
product).

(Remember when Windows 3.1 came out - Toolbook was bundled with it, to match
the bundling of Apple's Hypercard with Macs - the "programming languages for
the rest of us".  Not sure why all that fizzled out - better open source
alternatives evolved I guess.)

My questions are:

 1. Where does Python fit into the history of scripting languages. How
important is it in grand scheme of things, and specifically in the context of
the scripting 'movement'?  I mean, is Python state of the art in the scripting
world - something that history will look upon with fondness, the way we look
upon Smalltalk with a certain fondness?

 2. Can anybody tell me who begat Toolbook/Openscript/Hypercard/Metacard - were
these just variations of well known established scripting systems from the
50's - or was there new innovation involved there.  Perhaps the merging of an
easy GUI metpahor with scripting was their contribution... Thoughts?

cheers,
-Andy Bulka
Australia
abulka at netspace.net.au
www.atug.com
www.goreason.com

This mail sent through IMP: www.netspace.net.au

--
Posted from cirrus.netspace.net.au [203.10.110.75]