Using Lisp to beat your Competition

Remco Gerlich scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
Wed May 2 15:17:23 EDT 2001

David <root at 127.0.0.1> wrote in comp.lang.python:
> That all said, can anyone here provide persuasive references that I can
> send on to a software developer?  He's about to embark on an application
> from-scratch rewrite, and has chosen Java.  IMO, that's a huge mistake --
> I'd like to convince him to choose *any* high level language over Java (but
> prefer Python above all others, naturally, with Smalltalk coming a close
> second).
>
> Thanks!

I think that's a far too general advice to give. Especially since you don't
mention at all what sort of application it is. Depending on what sort of
libraries he needs, what sort of things he needs to interface with, who the
application is for, et cetera, Java may be quite a good choice. Or a bad
one.

Unfortunately, software engineering isn't as simple as "I like language X,
and Y is pretty neat too, so Z should never be used for anything!!" ;-)

PS If you're really posting as root, don't.
--
Remco Gerlich