Debugging multithreaded Python application

Duncan Grisby dgrisby at uk.research.att.com
Fri May 4 10:04:35 EDT 2001

In article <l.988884390.1454132080@[213.69.204.11]>,
 <u42480468 at spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net> wrote:

>Now, I'm stuck with some dead-locking problem. I'm not sure on which
>side is the problem? On the client side which uses omniORB and Python
>or on the server side uses VisiBroker and Java?

I can't help much with your quest for a debugger, but I have a small
hint. By far the most common cause of mysterious CORBA deadlocks with
call-backs is forgetting to activate the POA on the client side. That
causes the calls to block waiting for POA activation.

To find genuine deadlocks, I normally resort to attaching to the
Python process with gdb, and looking at the C stack traces. That's
often enough to get an idea of which thread is trying to do what.

Cheers,

Duncan.