Mac Os X and Python

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Wed May 30 12:05:57 EDT 2001

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Robert Hicks wrote:

> Tk does *not* work in OSX yet. Tcl is installed by default not Tcl/Tk. That
> was the last I checked (month ago).

Tk *does* work on OSX if you run it under X11.
( and Tkinter did work the last time I tried it under X11 )

But neither Tk nor X11 come installed in OSX, and there's no
rootless X11 yet, so you can't really do X and Native Mac
programs at the same time. (Although there is a Cocoa Xserver,
so you can swap screens back and forth, rather than having to
log out and in again as ">console" , which is what you had to
do earlier. )

And there's no carbonized Tk to run in native mode either.

The earlier non-carbon MacPython did run Tkinter in "classic"
mode, and I assume that if you check the "run in classic" box
in the finder info, you can get the carbonized 2.1 MacPython
to run in classic and use tkinter.

-- Steve Majewski