Problem with ActiveState support

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Mon May 14 23:13:50 EDT 2001

I don't know if someone else besides me had this experience. I've
downloaded Komodo last week. After some unsuccessfull attempts I gave up
installation and wrote a message to ActiveState support. I received almost
immediately an automated answer. However, I'm still waiting for some *real*
answer. As for the autoreply,

  ActiveState provides free installation support for our products, as well as
  complete online documentation. If your question falls within the scope of
  our free support, you will receive a response within 24 hours.

I've registered myself for personal use only, so I'm not paying, but that
should not be an issue - look at what's stated at the autoreply. I'm
thinking about using Komodo exclusively for the code that I develop in my
own time at home, and *all* this code is Open Source, and I believe that
there is not any problem with my license; anyway, I'd expect that someone
should at least take some time to read my message, and then reply to me.
Even a reply such as "We don't support non paying users" would be better
than total silence.

What's going on? Did someone else besides me had the same problem? I've
attached a copy of the message that I've sent to their support
(support at activestate.com).

Carlos Ribeiro

--- ORIGINAL MESSAGE POSTED ----

I have registered myself for personal use, and downloaded Komodo tonight.
While installing ActiveState Komodo 1.0, I got the following message:

Could not write value Folders to key
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress.
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact
your support personnel.

My machine is a Win98 workstation, and I should not be experiencing access
problems. I have ActivePython build 210 installed on my machine.

Python is ActiveState Python build 210
Komodo is 1.0.0-18562 built: 04/04/01
Windows is Win98, 4.10.2222A
CPU is AMD K6-2 450 Mhz, 128 Mb RAM