which distro and Gui ?

Boudewijn Rempt boudewijn at tryllian.com
Wed May 9 04:12:58 EDT 2001

Yvon Boulianne wrote:

> Hello everybody, i'm starting to use python but before investing some
> times in it i like to have a suggestion.
> which version of python is the more (standard), i know there is
> activestate version, beopen, and twistedmatrix and maybe more ?  which
> one better to run (on win95) ?
> also for the Gui, which one is the better one ? (faster execution, run
> on many platforms, stable etc..)  i know there is Tkinter and wxpython
> and some other.
>
> my purpose is to be able to learn OO and do some application (mainly
> networking apps) so any suggestion will be verry cool :)
>
> p.s. is it possible that some version of python are not compatible
> with Tkinter (i think i read that somewhere, if i remember well it was
> the active state who have a problem with it) ?

Take a look at
 http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.python/python_GUI.html
to acqaint yourself with the variety there is in GUI toolkits. There are
three or four serious contenders: Tkinter, PyQt, wxPython and PyGTK, I
think. There's an excellent book on Tkinter, by Grayson, and I'm writing a
book on PyQt - but using PyQt on Windows entails buying BlackAdder.

--
Boudewijn | http://www.valdyas.org