Python vs. Perl

Jonathan Gardner gardner at sounddomain.com
Tue May 22 18:09:51 EDT 2001

I am interested in Python, not because it looks cool - but precisely the
opposite. My first impressions of Python were that it was going to be
something like MatLab (horrors!) or BASIC (GASP!) So I thought to myself, "If
this looks so bad from the outside, there must be something good on the
inside. Otherwise, no one would be using it."

I've examined superficially all the constructs in Python. It looks very well
designed. It looks robust and easy to read. (It looks painfully easy to read
for a perl guy! Aren't computer languages supposed to be more like
hieroglyphics and ASCII art?) I like the object-oriented aspects of it. I
like the documentation aspects. I like the simplicity of everything - the way
almost anyone can understand it. (Is this a feature or a bug?)

It doesn't seem good enough to convince me to get knee deep, however. I am
going to miss a lot of the C features that I live and die by (while (a =
getc())), and I am going to miss the "do this or die unless that" aspect of
Perl. What does Python have that makes it so great? Why should I spend time
to become intimate with it? I am looking for comments from people that
actually have used Perl or C/C++ extensively, and I am looking for comments
that go beyond the FAQ.

--
Jonathan Gardner
Software Engineer, CarDomain Networks