Python vs. Perl

Jonathan Gardner gardner at cardomain.com
Sat May 26 01:36:02 EDT 2001

On Friday 25 May 2001 11:26 am, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 10:25:42AM -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> > I'm not trying to rile anyone up, I just want to have someone show me
> > how Python excels at dictionaries. Frankly, I find python's syntax a
> > bit burdensome and wordy.
>
> You find Python's dict syntax wordy ? Huh ? It's probably the most
> consise part of Python (<boast> barring augmented assignment (+=)
> </boast> :)

Okay, you guys got me with the (1, 2):'something' thingy there. That is
totally NOT possible in any way shape or form in perl without doing some
weird stuff. I mentioned earlier that Perl will burn you when you try to
use references as keys.

What I meant by wordy is not the simple and basic operations of accessing
the value of a key or getting the keys or getting the values... those are
straigthforward. However, its the other stuff you do with them, like taking
slices or whatever... my mind is dead now...

I render this point, along with the others, as conclusive evidence that
Python is Better Than Perl (TM).

Now I have to hit the books and learn the language. =)

BTW - the code that I am working on in the sidelines would be alot simpler
if keys could be references! Now I am going to recode it all in Python.
Sockets anyone?

--
Jonathan Gardner
Software Engineer, CarDomain Networks