sys.path after python 2.1?

Greg Copeland gtcopeland at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 19:46:11 EDT 2001

"Mark_Pryor" <erlangen72 at hotmail.com> writes:

> Greg Copeland wrote in message ...
> >
> >warning: install: modules installed to '/usr/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/',
> >which is not in Python's module search path (sys.path) -- you'll have to
> >change the search path yourself

BTW, I did lots of digging and found that the above is nothing more than
an installation bug, that is, so says a comment on a reported bug on Source
Forge.  At any rate, that would explain when messing with the sys.path and/
or using PYTHONPATH doesn't seem to make a difference.

> >The real issue that I've noticed is that ANY module that is a
> >shared object fails to load.  For example.  I can compile and
> >install wxPython without problem, however, if I attempt to use
> >the wx module, it says that it's not found.  I've tried messing
> >around with various items here and there, no matter what, I
> >can't seem to get it to function.  This doesn't only include
> >site modules, rather, even something as simple as importing
> >crypt of zlib fails with: ImportError: No module named <module>.
> >
> >I have some old code that fails to.  It says: ImportError: No module named time.
> >The odd thing is that time is being imported from the socket module.
> >
> >I didn't have this problem with 1.5.  What's the deal?  Help!  Where
> >do I need to make these changes.

BTW, this issue only exists for 2.1.  I don't have these problems with 1.5,
1.6, or 2.0.  They all work great.  2.1 seems badly broken.

> Hi,
> On Windows I do this:
>
> # from an interactive shell
>     import sys
>     import os
>     sys.path[0] = ''    # remove the / in path
> < end snip>

Thanks.  I tried that.  In fact, I've tried messing the the path lots
using different mechanisms.  Thus far, it has no effect.  At this
point in time, I'm assuming that 2.1 is horrible broken and unfit to
be called a "final" release.  As far as I can tell, the issue seems
to solely resolve around the fact that 2.1 is unable to properly load
shared libraries.  In fact, these are some of the changes that were
being done between 2.0 and 2.1?  Right?  The fact that this problem
didn't exist in previous versions, I think, supports that something
was horribly broken in 2.1 as it pertains to shared libraries and
Linux.

I have reported this bug on Source Forge.  I have searched the FAQs
and done various web searches on this topic.  I can't seem to find
anything.  I'm assuming because 2.1 hasn't been out long and few
people are actually using it yet???

--
Greg Copeland, Principal Consultant
Copeland Computer Consulting