Unix [was: do...until wisdom needed...]

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Wed May 9 16:11:46 EDT 2001

"Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU> writes:
>  I was seeing pretty massive migration to windows and NT
> (well -- in the case of NT, at least a lot of *thinking*
> about migrating, if not actual movement) riding on the
> back of cheap commodity x86 computers.

I suspect that, if Linux hadn't been written, the resolution of the
AT&T vs. Berkeley lawsuit would have let some BSD-derived system
fulfill the same role.

(Someday I have to borrow the time machine and incite someone to write
a free Unix for the 386 when it first came out.  Unix + X would have
been serious competition for Windows 3.x, and we might not be in so
much of a software monoculture right now.)

--amk