Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

John J. Lee phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Sat Mar 31 14:55:57 EST 2001

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Carlos Alberto Reis Ribeiro wrote:

> At 22:27 30/03/01 -0600, Grant Griffin wrote:
[...]
> Also in Python:
>
> - Infoseek/Ultraseek server (core library in C, bind to Python)
> - The RedHat installer
[...]

This reminds me: why aren't the Redhat (or any other linux / unix vendor)
boot scripts in Python, too?  Whenever I've made small changes to them,
I've wished they were!  I have seen it stated that 'obviously' boot
scripts can't be in Python, but nobody has explained to me why this is.
How much bigger is a minimal Python interpreter than bash?

I'm doubtful that there are any advantages to shell, even for short
scripts.

John