Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

Dry Ice nomail at nomail.com
Fri Mar 30 16:55:04 EST 2001

> > Know of substantial apps written in Python?

[...]

> What's the definition of "substantial"?

Good question.  To sharpen the point of my inquiry:

As programs grow in size and complexity, both
programmers and the results begin to show fatigue.
Slick as Java is, for example, I have found the
real-world results of which I'm aware so far to
be troubling in the Windows environment.  Still
evaluating, but it does not look good.

What "substantial" is might be defined in terms
of project length.  Perhaps something which would
take a good programmer several months.

Something as complex as a web browser might do,
if the language in question does not merely act as
glue for modules written in C or whatever.

In the end, this is like evaluating people.  We can
listen to what others say about a person, or what a
person says about his or her self- or we can simply
see how they BEHAVE.

> There's Grail, a web browser
> http://grail.sourceforge.net
>
> There's ZOPE, an internet publishing thingy
> (thingy is a technical term  :)
>
> Check www.python.org - there are plenty of examples
> of programs with thousands and thousands of lines of
> code.  I'm not sure if you mean "large" when you
> say substantial or if you mean well known and widely
> used...

Yes, those are what I mean.  :-)