New PEP: The directive statement

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 20 15:04:11 EST 2001

Michael Chermside <mcherm_python at yahoo.com> writes:

> After all the heated discussion going on here, I'm glad SOMEONE
> finally responded to Tim's request to write it up as a PEP.

It might be that Tim, when asking for somebody to write a PEP,
actually meant *me* to write it. It is only that this is the first day
since I implemented the patch that I found any time for it...

> But thanks for writing it up...  we can't have "from __future__
> import" being the only target, now can we? <wink>

At the moment (i.e. for 2.1), I would not use it for anything but
"directive transitional nested_scopes". After that, people proposing
new uses probably have to write a PEP as well :-)

> Seriously, it looks well-written, TRIES (I think) to incorporate
> the vast majority of what people have said on the subject so
> far, and as Tim pointed out, it was high time it got written.

Thanks. I hope it finds consideration before the next beta. I have not
listed that in the draft: a patch implementing the proposed feature is
in

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=404997&group_id=5470&atid=305470

Regards,
Martin