Cookies

Ken Seehof kens at sightreader.com
Fri Mar 16 13:08:26 EST 2001

Thanks for your reply.

Creating a unique id from a random number is fine.  The problem is that
there seems to be no way to communicate this number to the standalone python
app.  Thanks for the heads up on the IP address non-uniqueness problem.

Here's a restatement of the problem.  It's really about crossing the sandbox
barrier.

Does anyone know of another mailing list more specific to http questions?

1. Client downloads an execuatable (frozen python application).
2. Client downloads a web page.
3. Web page javascript generates a statistically unique random identifier.
4. Web page sends identifier to the server, which uses it as database key.
5. User runs python application
6. *** Python application somehow gets the identifier from somewhere ***
7. Now the python application and the server both have the same identifier.

The only question I am asking is how to do step 6.

Alternative:

1. Client downloads an execuatable (frozen python application).
2. Client downloads a web page.
3. *** Web page javascript makes a unique identifier for the client. ***
4. Web page sends identifier to the server, which uses it as database key.
5. User runs python application
6. *** Python application somehow generates the same identifier ***
7. Now the python application and the server both have the same identifier.

Again the only question I am asking is how to do steps 3 and 6 to get the
same number.