Cookies

Martin Skott martin.skott at propylon.com
Fri Mar 16 14:03:15 EST 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:

> "Martin Skott" <martin.skott at propylon.com> wrote in message
> news:lmq6m07j.fsf at propylon.com...
>     [snip]
> > You should first of all be aware that there is no common unique
> > identifier for a computer available from the net today[1]. IP
>     [snip]
> > [1]Why would somebody use cookies if there was?
>
> Because cookies are more powerful -- they let you associate
> state with, e.g., several different _users_ on a single
> computer, rather than 'that computer as a whole'.  (That
> was a trick question, right?-)

Depends, if you by trick mean standing on my head with plates balanced
on my feet while typing the text I will have to disappoint you :-)
And I must admit that I never really have used cookies in that way
even though the documentation from Netscape includes some nice
examples in that direction. The times I have used cookies information
about state has been stored in other places.

--
Martin Skott
Software Developer