Accessing Oracle from Python remotely ?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Mar 20 13:53:05 EST 2001

In article <mailman.985110929.20467.python-list at python.org>,
Bill Scherer  <Bill.Scherer at VerizonWireless.com> wrote:
>Fred -
>I've not used it with oracle v7, but DCOracle works very well with
>Oracle 8x.
>It is available as part of the ZOracleDA package for Zope
>(http://www.zope.org).  You do not need to install zope to use it.  Just
>get the ZOracleDA package and untar it.  Follow the directions inside to
>build DCOracle, then put the DCoracle directory in your PYHTHONPATH.
>You will need a proper installation of the Oracle client to build
>DCOracle.
			.
			.
			.
The short answer is, YES, you absolutely should be
able to expect to get at an Oracle RDBMS hosted on
a WNT box from anyplace on your network.  Python
has lots of ways to involve itself.  DCOracle is a
good one; just to get started, though, and to ex-
perience some of this for yourself, you might
experiment with command-line Oracle access from
the Solaris workstation.  Python can, of course,
control Oracle that way.

Yet another alternative is through ODBC drivers,
which some people (to my surprise) seem to favor
over DCOracle.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net