Accessing Oracle from Python remotely ?

Bill Scherer Bill.Scherer at VerizonWireless.com
Tue Mar 20 12:53:48 EST 2001

Fred -
I've not used it with oracle v7, but DCOracle works very well with
Oracle 8x.
It is available as part of the ZOracleDA package for Zope
(http://www.zope.org).  You do not need to install zope to use it.  Just
get the ZOracleDA package and untar it.  Follow the directions inside to
build DCOracle, then put the DCoracle directory in your PYHTHONPATH.
You will need a proper installation of the Oracle client to build
DCOracle.

Good luck.

Fred Pacquier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an Oracle (7) database running on a Windows NT 4 server. Is it
> possible (easy, difficult ?) to read the data in those tables from a python
> script running on a remote Unix (Solaris) box ?
>
> Sorry if the question is silly -- I do know a bit of python but I'm
> inexperienced in databases and their connectivity. Any pointers welcome
> though.
>
> Thanks,
> fp
>
> --
> YAFAP : http://www.multimania.com/fredp/
> --

William K. Scherer
Sr. Member of Applications Staff - Verizon Wireless
Bill.Scherer_at_VerizonWireless.com