Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

Grant Griffin not.this at seebelow.org
Fri Mar 30 22:44:29 EST 2001

Grant Edwards wrote:

> In article <KE6x6.415$SR6.235983 at typhoon1.ba-dsg.net>, David Allen wrote:
>
> >What's the definition of "substantial"?
> >
> >There's Grail, a web browser
> >http://grail.sourceforge.net
>
> Anybody get Grail to work lately?  Last time I tried it
> wouldn't run.
>
> >There's ZOPE, an internet publishing thingy
> >(thingy is a technical term  :)
>
> Sketch is one of my favorites:
>
>   http://sketch.sourceforge.net/

Hi Grant,

Hey, I looked at that, and it looks cool.  But I was somewhat puzzled by
the following statement:

   Sketch is an interactive vector drawing program for Linux
   and other UNIX compatible systems. <snip>

   A somewhat unique(for a drawing program) feature of Sketch is
   that it is implemented almost completely in a very high-level,
   interpreted language, Python.

If it's implemented almost completely in Python, why does it only run on
"UNIX-compatible" systems?  (BTW, does it delete hyphens? <wink>)  Is
there something about its "almost" part that can't be done in Windows.

free-software-isn't-just-for-unix-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com