[Very Long (11K)] Numeric PEPs, first public posts

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Tue Mar 20 04:24:49 EST 2001

On 19 Mar 2001 15:55:29 -0800, aahz at panix.com (Aahz Maruch) wrote:

> Because a lot of people don't have time to subscribe to every mailing
> list that comes along.

I respectfully disagree. The numerics sig has managed to get many people
that probably don't read c.l.py subscribed to it.

'''
The champion offers to take the discussion off-line
    and specifies a location (e.g. egroups, python.org, Roundup).
'''

> If I have the time, I'm going to be posting some
> comments about your proposal, and they're going to be here on c.l.py.

Comments posted here have much less of a chance to get into my PEPs
(as open issues or as changes), simply because here I have *less* of
a peer review (for example, I don't think Paul D. or Guido read c.l.py
regularily, and their opinions are very important to me.)
So, you're much better off CCing python-numerics. (I do try to read
c.l.py regularily, and I try to integrate things. But I am a finite
person, and python-numerics seems to me to strike a perfect balance
between mailing me personally (people accused me of being unfair
in the past -- on a public mailing list they have the feeling that
it doesn't go into a black hole) and being on .c.l.py (which I
occasioanlly have to purge do to my thoroughly non-robotic nature)).

> Note carefully this quote from PEP 1:
>
>     A PEP that has not been discussed on python-list and python-dev will
>     not be accepted for review.  However, wherever possible, long
>     open-ended discussions on public mailing lists should be avoided.

Of course. But the PEP won't be ''accepted for review'' anyway until all
the Open Issues are resolved, and that has much less of a chance happening
here.

--
"I'll be ex-DPL soon anyway so I'm        |LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
looking for someplace else to grab power."|YODA: No...no... no. Quicker,