Wrong reasons to enhancing the language

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Mon Mar 19 21:33:07 EST 2001

[Aahz]
> Nested scopes are an optional feature of Python 2.1

I wouldn't phrase it that way.  Nested scopes are a mandatory feature of
Python 2.2, and 2.1 is giving people a one-release grace period to convert
their code to the new semantics (if they indeed have any code in need of
converting ... seems that conflicts are mighty rare so far).

> and the others are simply *proposed* features.
>
> This is a *great* time to be debating the numerics issues.

Indeed it is.  So far, though, IEEE-754 aficionados are conspicuous by
absence.

and-we-really-*need*-a-fifth-group-that-doesn't-agree-with-any-of-the-
    others<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim