Can anyone recomend a good intoduction to C...

Mats Wichmann xyzmats at laplaza.org
Wed Mar 7 10:37:35 EST 2001

On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:19:48 GMT, grante at visi.com (Grant Edwards)
wrote:

>In article <3aa366c6_2 at nnrp1.news.uk.psi.net>, Simon Brunning wrote:
>>... for a Python programmer?
>>
>>I'm going to have to bite the bullet and learn a bit of C. I'd at
>>least like to learn the *right* way to do it.
>
>The "right" way to do it is with a PDP-11, a Lear-Siegler ADM3a
>and the v7 source code.  ;)  Some would argue in favor of an
>ASR-33, but they tend to annoy the downstairs neighbors.

Sheesh, an ADM3a.  What luxury. On that you can run vi.  The ADM3, on
the other hand, only allowed "open" mode - a little better than a line
editor but not much.  (a totally pointless historical tidbit: it was
the 3a that allowed the vi mode of ex to creep out to a wider
population at UC Berkeley and thence to become inflicted on the rest
of the world. Closely followed by the much-less reliable HP 2621.)

(oops, I smell a flood of "I can top that" comments such as "you had a
terminal? I learned on a Teletype", "you had a Teletype? I had to
toggle code in using switches", "you had switches?  I had to use
Forth!".  Consider that joke already played out, eh).

Mats Wichmann

(Anti-spam stuff: to reply remove the "xyz" from the
address xyzmats at laplaza.org. Not that it helps much...)