WinNT problem with Python and Cygwin Bash

Don Dwiggins dwig at advancedmp.net
Tue Mar 27 12:42:27 EST 2001

David Bolen writes:
> However, am I correct in guessing that "/e" isn't actually a top level
> directory on your current drive, but rather a Cygwin mount point for
> your E: drive?  If that's the case, then you'll definitely have a
> problem because there's no way for Python (unless you've built a
> Cygwin version of it) to handle that mount translation, as such
> translation is built into the Cygwin DLL.

You're guessing right.

> In either case, you can use the cygpath utility to convert any Cygwin
> path into a Windows path (or vice versa, or other conversions), and it
> will handle replacing any mount references with appropriate Windows
> native paths and adding drive references as necessary.

> So if you modify the created shell script slightly to take whatever
> pathname it would normally send into Python and run it through
> "cygpath -w" first, you should be ok.  Or, just create a small
> front-end shell script to run instead of Python which can do the
> expansion and then call Python, and tell the Happydoc created script
> to run that instead of Python.

Thanks; that's pretty much what I'd surmised (but I'd hoped I was missing
something simpler).  I'll have to change the Happydoc-generated script to
run Bash instead of Python, and call Python inside the script.

--
Don Dwiggins                    "Solvitur Ambulando"
Advanced MP Technology
dwig at advancedmp.net