Unresolved symbols in MSVCRT.DLL when running a py2exe packaged program.

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Fri Mar 2 17:24:22 EST 2001

[Tom, on System File Protection in recent flavors of Windows]
> I didn't mean to suggest 'fooling' it - I agree that safeguards
> like SFP are needed - I meant that one had to do it according to
> the rules.

What rules?  Only MS can replace system files now -- there is no provision
for "one" to *ever* do it anymore, if one != MS (no API, no magic dance, not
even an option to turn SFP off).  One of the links I posted before suggests
that they *may* make an exception for developers of new hardware.

> As for not being able to update the DLL's, this would be a problem.  If a
> service pack for VC6 updates the MFC or CRT DLL's (which SP's usually do),
> and you ship an app build with it, then you must update these DLL's on your
> target system.  Perhaps this is where the new ability to run 'personal'
> instances of DLL's comes in: ie. you can't update the system32 version the
> DLL, but you can install your own personal copy.

That's my understanding, yes.  As one of the links pointed out, .inf files
don't have conditionals, so MS expects you to ship different infs for
different MS OSes now (depending on whether you can or cannot exploit private
system DLLs on the OS in question).

Python hasn't needed to deal with that yet.  Wrestling with Windows esoterica
isn't really a passion of mine, so I'm not looking forward to the day when it
must.

luckily-i'm-told-everyone-will-be-on-linux-then-anyway-ly y'rs  - tim