Good Editor? (What's the big deal with syntax colouring?)

John Schmitt jschmitt at vmlabs.com
Fri Mar 23 00:55:19 EST 2001

I do typos all the time.  But they very rarely take time to debug because
the compiler will tell me about those instantly.  I spend much more time
with bugs related to poor design or poor code or broken hardware.

Anyway, the syntax colouring that I've seen also differentiates between
comments, keywords, expressions, literal numerals, literal strings,
pre-processor directives, etc.  Do any of them require, I don't know, more
attention than others?  To me they're equally significant.  Does syntax
colouring move your attention to something important?  Other than typos, I
mean - I can kind of see the value in emphasizing typos.  I also find it
distracting if the editor changes colours on me if I'm adding or deleting
quotes or if the cursor jumps around because I'm adding or deleting
brackets.  My attention span is too short already.

John