Can anyone recomend a good intoduction to C...

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 10:41:39 EST 2001

"Courageous" <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote in message
news:djagat4kk3cs9hg0c3k39cudk6goblhkg6 at 4ax.com...

> >All this bloat added to C++ was not necessary for making an OO language.
>
> Echo that. What's "object oriented" about templates?
>
> A: NOTHING.

True.  They're just the best programming concept to hit
statically-typed languages since sliced bread, and happen
to work with superb sinergy with OO and overloading, but
that doesn't make them 'object-oriented' -- just GREAT.

There's a lot of parallelism between generic programming
(via templates in a statically-typed language) and the
way one designs and codes in Python (or other dynamically
typed languages with polymorphism, I guess), except of
course that in the the static case everything really
interesting happens at compile-time (which has pluses
_and_ minuses).

Alex