time to invest ???

py.list at localhost.localdomain py.list at localhost.localdomain
Sun Mar 25 02:18:56 EST 2001

I've started hanging around the edges of Python and this list after
spending about 12 months learning pretty much everything practical there
is to know about PHP and MySQL (and various other bits and pieces
including shell scripting and some Javascript, etc, etc) ... my experience
is just identify a task you want to get done and then hunt down examples,
models, something close and just hack it til it works. Approaching
programming from a point of view where you want to learn/understand
everything before you use it will prove to be an overwhelming and even
impossible task.

For example, I'm looking at Python now to do non-web jobs that PHP isn't
so great for, and which shell scripts can't quite handle. Perl is the
other option, but I tend to believe what I read here about Perl ...
Basically, I'd like to build a PHP code manager in Python which will
automate a great deal of the hack work in setting up a web application.

So anyway, I reckon you learn to think like a programmer by doing
programming ... the more you do it, the quicker it happens I suppose.

Mick