Linux GPS program

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Mar 27 13:16:53 EST 2001

"Jay R. Ashworth" wrote:
> > Right now, it does moving maps (UTM bitmaps), track recording, and
> > playback. Will select the "best" of multiple maps.
>
> No *schidt*.  Cool, Russ; thanks.  Any plans to do vector map data as
> well?  (Yeah, I know, I know; "it's never enough". :-)

I'm pretty ignorant here.  What sources of vector information are there,
how big is the dataset, and how do I render it so I can use lat/lon or
easting/northing to get my location?

> Did you use wxPython?

No.  I used pygtk, which is a set of Python bindings to the gtk
toolkit.  I also used libglade to load up an XML file of widget
definitions, and the python bindings to libglade.  The cool thing is
that somebody could write their own glade file, and use it with pygps on
a machine with a big screen.

I ended up with a little Python gps program, a big NMEA parsing module,
and a Lat/Lon to GPS converter module.

--
-russ nelson will be speaking at http://www.osdn.com/conferences/brie/
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Watch out!  He's got